Monday, September 11, 2006

Stitchy Post

I finished something over the weekend, Gypsy Hearts by Shepherd's Bush, so I took a picture.



I also took a couple work-in-progress pictures...

Alpine Seasons by Chatelaine:



And Noah's Sub:



I spent all day Saturday doing Luke-related stuff...soccer in the morning, fair at his school, and two birthday parties in the afternoon. Sunday I went to church and cleaned the house, including Luke's room. Nothing too exciting.

It of course doesn't escape my notice that today is September 11th. I suppose it would be impossible to miss that detail today if you listen to the radio, turn on the tv, check the news online, or whatever. I remember the day well because it was already a bad day before I knew about the attacks. Jay and I had been fighting the night before so he slept on the couch. I usually listened to the radio in the car on the way to work but I was really angry and listened to a tape of angry girl music so I had no idea. At work I heard what happened and they sent everyone home for the day. I spent the day at home with Jay and Luke, who was about 8 months old at the time. I remember being glued to the tv, not really understanding what was going on. It was the first time I'd ever seen continuous coverage like that without commercials.

It's strange to look back over the last five years and see the things that are different whether due to the terrorist attacks or due to time passing and life in general. I was such a different person five years ago. Jay and I weren't married at the time and I was still painfully aware of how things looked, having Luke outside of wedlock and all. I wished so much for my life to be different from how it was. I wanted stability and I wanted to be loved and cherished. I guess I thought if we got married then that’s how things would be.

I have spent much of the past five years finding myself and determining what it is I truly want out of life. I am no longer sad and insecure and I am over the concern I had with how things look to other people. I’ve had beliefs shaken and I’ve been humbled by my experiences. Sometimes I think God allows us to put ourselves into painful, complicated situations because the growth that occurs is necessary. I’ve certainly grown over the past five years. I hope I have learned from my experiences and that I can take negative things that happen and turn them into positive things.

Well I have a lot more on my mind than that, but that’s all I’ll be writing today. Today is a day to remember what is important in life and focus on ways people can be brought together and differences overcome. Though really I suppose those things are important every day, whether the day is the anniversary of a terrible tragedy or just another regular day.

9 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

{{{{{Jill}}}}}

11:36 AM  
Blogger Faith Ann said...

I love Gypsy Hearts... I have it in my stash and fully intend to stitch it one of these days :)

Wow... Alpine Seasons is GORGEOUS! (Guess I shouldn't ignore Noah's sub it looks great too!).

A lot of changes can take place in 5 years that's for sure... {{hugs}}

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I've "known" you for five years.

Has it really been five years. They are just flying by.

BTW - Brad and I got married because I was pregnant. Don't know if I ever told you that. ;)

9:22 PM  
Blogger Darla said...

{{{{{Jill}}}}}

9:35 PM  
Blogger Concetta said...

Congratulations on finishing Gypsy Hearts, it's so beautiful! Your other WIPs look wonderful too - especially Alpine Seasons... makes me want to pick mine up again too!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Stitcher S said...

Hugs to you, Jill.

Love seeing your progress pics, too. What lovely work!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Your stitching is gorgeous! I love your Alpine Seasons. So sparkly. 5 years does seem like forever ago, and yet at the same time, like yesterday. It's amazing and wonderful how time can change us. Always aim for the wonderful!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Gypsy hearts is beautiful. congrats.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

((hugs)) from me too.

Your Alpine Seasons is gorgeous!

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home